This Month In Movies: January

Over the last couple years, it's become pretty obvious that I've missed out on some of the great films out there so in the hopes of increasing the amount of movies I see in full, I'm going to share a monthly list with you guys. Thanks to Alea from Pop Culture Junkie for inspiring this idea!


The Lizzie McGuire Movie on January 1st
Starring: Hilary Duff, Adam Lamberg
Plot: Lizzie McGuire has graduated from middle school and takes a trip to Rome, Italy.
Released: 3 July 2003
Source: Free-to-air TV
4 out of 5 stars... As a fan of The Lizzie McGuire Show back in the day, this movie is a total guilty pleasure and I really enjoyed watching it once again. Who can resist the idea of a whirlwind trip to Italy but mysteriously Miranda is entirely missing?


Chasing Liberty on January 2nd
Starring: Mandy Moore, Mark Harmon
Plot: Anna Foster has never had an ordinary life. At eighteen years old, she is the most protected girl in America as the First Daughter.
Released: 9 January 2004
Source: Free-to-air TV
2 out of 5 stars... Even though I knew this movie would be pretty cheesy, I've still wanted to see it for a long while but never really made the effort to order it in and funnily enough, I could barely manage to watch the whole film as it was that lame.


Awakenings on January 3rd
Starring: Robert De Niro, Robin Williams
Plot: The victims of an encephalitis epidemic many years ago have been catatonic ever since, but now a new drug offers the prospect of reviving them.
Released: 14 March 1991
Source: Foxtel
3 out of 5 stars... This isn't usually my type of movie but I found myself getting more into the story as it went along. The extremely sad ending was a bit difficult to watch but it's amazing to see Robert De Niro way back when. 


Little Fockers on January 4th
Starring: Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro
Plot: Family-patriarch Jack Byrnes wants to appoint a successor. Does his son-in-law, the "male nurse", Greg Focker have what it takes?
Released: 26 December 2010
Source: Cinema
2 out of 5 stars... I'm not really a fan of the Meet the Parents movies so when I was dragged along to this film, I was a little bit surprised at the laughs I did have but ultimately I wasn't really into the film.


Quints on January 10th
Plot: A family is surprised by the arrival of quintuplets.
Released: 2000
Source: TV
2 out of 5 stars... Who isn't fascinated by twins, triplets, quads and etc plus I'm always a sucker for a good teen movie but this wasn't really up to speed when the family is made mildly famous.


I Love You Too on January 11th
Starring: Peter Helliar, Yvonne Strahovski
Plot: A commitment-phobe and a New Ager buddy-up to win over the women of their respective dreams.
Released: 6 May 2010
Source: DVD Store
3 out of 5 stars... This was a pretty good comedy for an Australian made film and plus there were plenty of faces I recognized, I especially loved Hamish Blake's scene stealing two second role.


Accidents Happen on January 11th
Starring: Geena Davis
Plot: There are dysfunctional families... and then there are the Conways.
Released: 2009
Source: DVD Store
4 out of 5 stars... Okay, this movie was entirely weird yet I also ended up really liking it. Basically this family has had a lot of misfortune with people close to them dying, they deal with this in a manner of comedy recently seen in Malcolm in the Middle.


Scott Pilgrim vs. the World on January 12th
Starring: Michael Cera, Kieran Culkin
Plot: Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart.
Released: 12 August 2010
Source: DVD Store
4 out of 5 stars... I wasn't sure I'd be up for the comic book and video game references but I couldn't hold off on seeing this film any longer when I heard Mae Whitman had a tiny role. I actually really loved the quirkiness and it never failed to make me smile with text like ring, ring from the telephone was shown on screen.


Pride & Prejudice on January 14th
Starring: Keira Knightley, Carey Mulligan
Plot: Sparks fly when spirited Elizabeth Bennett meets single, rich, and proud Mr. Darcy. But Mr. Darcy reluctantly finds himself falling in love with a woman beneath his class. Can each overcome their own pride and prejudice?
Released: 13 October 2005
Source: TV
4 out of 5 stars... Irresistible, I actually tried to read the book earlier this month but I'm glad the movie is much more enjoyable than I found the text.


That Thing You Do! on January 15th
Starring: Tom Hanks, Liv Tyler and Charlize Theron
Plot: A Pennsylvania band scores a hit in 1964 and rides the star-making machinery as long as it can, with lots of help from its manager.
Released: 9 January 1997
Source: TV
4 out of 5 stars... I've actually seen this movie a few times now and really love it. As a music fan, I love the backstage drama, we all imagine happens behind the curtain of our favourite bands but also the politeness of a totally different era in time.


Yogi Bear on January 18th
Starring: Dan Aykroyd, Justin Timberlake
Plot: A documentary filmmaker travels to Jellystone Park to shoot a project and soon crosses paths with Yogi Bear, his sidekick Boo-Boo, and Ranger Smith.
Released: 26 December 2010
Source: Cinema
2 out of 5 stars... Going to the cinema with my younger cousins, I was prepared for a kiddy movie but didn't expect to be as bored with Yogi Bear as I was.


Avalon High on January 22nd
Starring: Brittany Robertson
Plot: Allie is transferred to a new school where she discovers that her fellow classmates are reincarnations of King Arthur and his court.
Released: 2010
Source: Online
2 out of 5 stars... I was stoked to finally see this after hearing a few people rave about the Disney screening but I have to say this movie was pretty average even if Lux from Life Unexpected was the lead role.


Beauty & the Briefcase on January 24th
Starring: Hilary Duff, Jaime Pressly
Plot: A freelance writer looking for romance sells a story to Cosmopolitan magazine about finding love in the workplace and goes undercover at a Finance Company.
Released: 2010
Source: Online
3 out of 5 stars... If it weren't for Hilary Duff, I never would've gone out of my way to see this movie and while it was mildly funny, most of the time I was bored/distracted but it was nice to see Matt Dallas from Kyle XY once again.


The Dilemma on January 25th
Starring: Vince Vaughn, Kevin James
Plot: A man discovers that his best friend's wife is having an affair.
Released: 14 January 2011
Source: Cinema
4 out of 5 stars... Even though this a bromance comedy, I really enjoyed it and I think it had to do with the familiarity I have with the two lead actors after seeing them in so many different movies and TV Shows.


Q: What's the best movie you've seen recently?

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs