In My Mailbox #43

Expect a lull in my regular posts for the coming weeks as I've got a few things planned that might inhibit me from blogging but I'll see how things work out. I'm hoping I'll still be able to fit in some reading time as I've got a couple awesome books I can't wait to get into. I should be able to check email on the weekends so all arc tour participants, don't fear I'll just be a little slow replying. Check out Kristi's blog, The Story Siren for more information on the blogospheres obsession with In My Mailbox.

This week I received:
Three Things About Daisy Blue (Girlfriend Fiction, #20) by Kate Gordon 
Daisy Blue is not happy. She doesn't want to go to Bali. And she doesn't want to keep a diary of her trip. She wants to be a size zero and famous. 
Paulina Gifford is very studious. She is excited about the Bali trip and is keen to use her journal solely for matters of historical investigation. She thinks Daisy Blue is some kind of alien species. 
But Bali surprises them both - and soon they are in danger of falling in 'like' with each other. Is it possible that the fashionista and the earnest nerd might find something in common, or are they just setting themselves up for a fall? 

The Girlfriend Fiction books have to be one of the only set of books that I've actually kept up with probably due to the fact that you don't need to read these in series order at all. Here's hoping the story is just as delightful as the cover and title.

by Sloane Crosley
From the author of the sensational bestseller I Was Told There'd Be Cake comes a new book of personal essays brimming with all the charm and wit that have earned Sloane Crosley widespread acclaim, award nominations, and an ever-growing cadre of loyal fans. In Cake readers were introduced to the foibles of Crosley's life in New York City-always teetering between the glamour of Manhattan parties, the indignity of entry-level work, and the special joy of suburban nostalgia-and to a literary voice that mixed Dorothy Parker with David Sedaris and became something all its own. 

Crosley still lives and works in New York City, but she's no longer the newcomer for whom a trip beyond the Upper West Side is a big adventure. She can pack up her sensibility and takes us with her to Paris, to Portugal (having picked it by spinning a globe and putting down her finger, and finally falling in with a group of Portuguese clowns), and even to Alaska, where the "bear bells" on her fellow bridesmaids' ponytails seemed silly until a grizzly cub dramatically intrudes. Meanwhile, back in New York, where new apartments beckon and taxi rides go awry, her sense of the city has become more layered, her relationships with friends and family more complicated. 

As always, Crosley's voice is fueled by the perfect witticism, buoyant optimism, flair for drama, and easy charm in the face of minor suffering or potential drudgery. But in How Did You Get This Number it has also become increasingly sophisticated, quicker and sharper to the point, more complex and lasting in the emotions it explores. And yet, Crosley remains the unfailingly hilarious young Everywoman, healthily equipped with intelligence and poise to fend off any potential mundanity in maturity. 

I'm a big fan of comedy in books and I'd love to say I'm already a fan of Sloane Crosley from her previous novel, but unfortunately my copy is still sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I'll have to make a real effort to push this one up my reading stack.

by Catherine Jinks
I still hadn't fully absorbed the terrible possibility that I might actually be a werewolf. A werewolf. I kept stumbling over that word; it made no sense to me. How could I be a werewolf? Werewolves didn't exist.

When Tobias Richard Vandevelde wakes up in hospital with no memory of the night before, his horrified mother tells him that he was found by the police. At Featherdale Park. In a dingo pen. 

As if that isn't weird enough, suddenly a very menacing looking guy and a priest show up at his door. 

As the mystery unfolds, Toby finds himself keeping company with some very strange and sickly looking people - members of a suburban vampire support group. And when he's abducted in broad daylight, he will need all their help to break free ... and to come to terms with his own incredibly rare condition.


I usually steer clear of all things werewolf but seeing as this book arrived randomly on my doorstep and has an April 2011 release date, I'll definitely read it early and get a review out for you those who are hugely anticipating it.

I Believe You, Liar by Washington 
I won this cd along with a really cute tote bag on Twitter the other day. I'm seriously thankful for it as I've been meaning to check out this aussie indie band for awhile. They've passed some major milestones already such as winning the Triple J Unearthed comp which discovered Silverchair and also sold out the iconic Corner Hotel in Melbourne more times than any other act. Check out the songs Cement or Sunday Best if you can fit in a quick listen on myspace.

Q: How do you work in time for blogging amongst important life events?

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs