Review: My Worst Best Friend

My Worst Best Friend by Dyan Sheldon
303 Pages | Walker Books

From the author of Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen.

Summary: This title offers a warm, smart and very funny look at the friendship between two very different girls. Gracie and Savannah are best friends - despite being totally different. Savannah is beautiful, outrageous and irresistible to the opposite sex. Gracie is shy, smart and would rather be learning about lizards than meeting boys. Together they make a great if surprising team and it seems like nothing could come between them - but over a long summer Gracie begins to question Savannah's reliance on lies and manipulation to get her own way and wonder whether her friend is quite as confident as she seems. When Gracie meets a boy she really likes, and Savannah comes between them, Gracie realizes that maybe it's time she started thinking for herself. The two friends may never be as close as they were but they've learned a great deal from each other. This is a witty and very funny story about friendship, keeping your own identity and moving on.


OUT OF FIVE STARS

Review: I am actually really surprised at how much I liked this book as it is a simple tale of high school friendship but what pushes it over the line, I believe is Dyan Sheldon's writing as I almost immediately connected with Gracie and her shyness, hoping the best for her. 

Gracie is a lovely girl who happens to suffer from a tad bit of shyness, this has been taken use of by her best friend Savannah who seems to have it all - boys, personality, friends and money but as with many situations once you dig a little deeper it is not actually the case.  

Savannah is one of those popular female characters who take almost everything for granted, especially her parents. She cheats on her boyfriend, lies to her friends and spends money like crazy. Gracie finally confronts her when she is fed up with telling lies for Savannah and it all breaks down from there.  

My Worst Best Friend is a regular size YA novel but I flew through it record time, actually allotting more time to read than I usually do as it is such a fun, light read with a tiny bit of moral to be learnt. I feel this could be a perfect novel for girls starting high school, worrying about fitting into the right clique and getting a boyfriend but for me it was a nice look back at my high school years and what I could've done better.
Available now from Amazon | The Book Depository

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs