Review: Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer


Title: Life As We Knew It
Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer
Genre: YA, Dystopia
Source: Library
Link: Goodreads
My Review: I had heard about this book, but the blurb didn't really interest me enough to be added to my TBR list, but then I happened to be at the library when I couldn't find anything to borrow and I thought I'd give this one a go. It turned out to be a good choice, before this I was a bit unsure of science fiction but I found having a teenage girl as a narrator helped me along quite a bit.

Susan Beth Pfeffer released Life As We Knew It in 2006, the first in the Moon Crash Trilogy. She got the idea for her novel while watching the movie Meteor, she wanted to see how her characters would react in a situation that was out of her control.


Everyone seems captivated by the upcoming asteroid hitting the moon; Miranda's little brother is getting his telescope out and making a night of it with the family, even Miranda's teachers and so entranced by it they set her not one but two assignments on the topic. Miranda doesn't really see the reason for creating such a fuss but still she goes out with her family to watch the asteroid hit the moon.

Miranda's mum seems to be taking this a little too seriously when she takes the family to the supermarket and buys must need items by the trolley load, but still Miranda and her siblings go along with it just incase. 

Turns out this isn't any run of the mill space event, worldwide catastrophe enfolds with tidal waves destroying coastal cities, killing thousands even thunderstorms knock out the power at Miranda's local school. The next few months are spent living within minimal means and with so many people dying of diseases Miranda still tries to cling to normality and even goes swimming at the lake and meets a possible-boyfriend. She fights with her mother about being able to live life to the fullest during this time though Miranda's strengths are shown when she pulls through to help the family through some quite difficult times including the family coming down with a deadly case of the flu.

Miranda may not know how long they can keep living life like this but she continues to work together with her family so they at least stand a chance.

A good thing about this book is that it gets you to think about your own lifestyle, what it would be like if you ran out of food or if you were isolated from the rest of the world. I did enjoy it but found it to be a little too grim for my liking.


I would recommend this book to girls, like myself who are sceptical of the sci-fi genre. I did enjoy this book but I didn't find it anything to rave about. I will, however be continuing the trilogy.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this one. The characters were so vivid, and the story was so heart-breaking. I had no idea which way the story was going to go--happy ending or tragedy? Could so easily have been either. I'm reading The Dead and the Gone soon, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science fiction with teenage girl narrator - sounds like something I will absolutely LOVE!
    I'll definitely look for a copy.

    ReplyDelete

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs