Best Aussie Flicks & The Sapphires


Last night, I saw The Sapphires, an Aussie film about four Aboriginal girls who are discovered by a talent scout and taken on tour through the war in Vietnam. I'm usually pretty critical of Australian films but The Sapphires is just so entertaining and actually leaves you feeling rather uplifted and wanting more. It's pretty obvious Jess Mauboy is on her way to becoming an instant star as she shines in this 2012 film.

I hear The Sapphires already has worldwide distribution in the works so if hits a cinema near you, be sure to check it out! It also got me thinking about my favourite Aussie films...

Best Australian Films

Muriel's Wedding (1994) - A classic Aussie film, I don't think anyone can quote "You're terrible, Muriel!" without a grin on their face!

Looking for Alibrandi (2000) - | I still haven't read this book in it's entirety but I remember being extremely affected by the funeral scene in the film when I was at a young age.

Tomorrow, When the War Began (2010) - Another one for the bookish fans, I can't wait for the sequel in 2013!

Babe (1995) - Pretty much the cutest film ever, I can't believe I was only five years old when this came out.

The Castle (1997) - And, of course... the best Australian film of all time! It feels like watching a doco on the long lost cousins you never really see enough of.

Oh, and here's a trailer for The Sapphires...

Q: How many of these Aussie fan favourites have you seen? What are your favourite Australian films?

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs