5x5 Q's w/ Brittany from Nice Girls Read Books!

Welcome to another edition of 5x5 Q's, this week we're chatting to Brittany of Nice Girls Read Books!

Q: What would you most like to accomplish in the future? Probably all bloggers or avid readers say this, so I don't want to sound to repetitive, but I would absolutely LOVE a job in the publishing industry. I like to write, but I'm not sure I'm good enough! Even just an office job in some publishing company would suit me fine. As long as I'm working in some area related to books, I'd be happy. If we're talking 'dream job', I'd be an editor or an agent for authors.

Q: How did you get into blogging? For a few years now I've been reading a lot and recommending YA titles to my friends to read. I wanted to have somewhere I could keep track of my thoughts as well as share them with anyone who wanted my opinion. Goodreads was a great way for me to do that, but I wanted something more personal and something that would keep everything organized as I wanted it. I also wanted to share my excitement for upcoming titles and just talk about books in general.

After a bit of googling I found some of the very first book blogs I ever came across. I admit, the thought had never even crossed my mind before! I immediately set out to make one of my own! I haven't regretted the decision yet!

Q: When did you get into reading? My passion for reading started when I was really young. I used to go to the public library with my mum (also an avid reader) when I was little and hire out Goosebumps, The Sleepover Club and things like The Nancy Drew Diaries (or whatever the revival series for kids was called, there were heaps of them). In 6th grade I had my first taste of Harry Potter and that was the first series I REALLY got obsessed with, like a lot of people my age. I think Harry Potter really upped the standards for me.

Q: Why is "paranormal fantasy" your favourite? A lot of people complain that the genre is being clogged with some not-to-good reads lately. I agree, but you just have to know where and when to dig out the good ones - there are still some great titles that breathe new life into the genre. The thing I love most about it is that it's just so different from everyday life. If I'm going to read, I want to go on an adventure and step into the shoes of the main character. I don't want to step into another boring reality, such as 9-5 workdays and office romances. Paranormal fantasy gives me that. Some of the authors are just so creative and come up with incredible ideas!

Q: Where would you like to travel most in the world? Without a doubt, Paris. I know it's a pretty generic answer but I'm just so in love with the city. I started teaching myself the French language last year, urged on by the fact I hoped to someday travel there. I'd do the touristy thing for a few days, but after that I'd just immerse myself in the culture and be a part of the atmosphere!

-----------------------------------
Now, it's Brittany's chance to ask me a few questions... 


Q: What's the best thing about being an Aussie book-blogger? The tight-knit group of awesome Aussies who read YA, there seem to be more and more of us popping out of the woodwork everyday. I especially love the huge amount of book trading that goes on between us, we even started our own little group on goodreads - The Aussie Swap.

Q: How long have you been blogging and was there any time in which you thought 'I'm going to give it up'? The first post I ever made on this blog was way back in 2007 but the beginnings of a book blog didn't rear its head until late 2009. There will always be a doubt in the back of my mind that this community and my participation will one day cease but it's been great for such a long time so I just have to enjoy it while it lasts.

Q: If you could change one thing about your blog, what would it be? I'd like to eventually have quality posts scheduled for every day of the week where I use my creative writing skills for interesting discussion posts. I'd also really like to knuckle down on writing one review a week, I seem to be slacking on this a little lately. I guess I'd also like to see a new layout one day but I'm afraid I just love this one too much.

Q: Other than reading, what passion has made a big impact on your life? MUSIC! At the age of about 16, I discovered a few cringe-worthy artists like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte & Kisschasy which led me on a whirlwind tour of discovering so many awesome bands. They shaped my teenage years so much that I really wonder what my life would've been like without the awesome community of music loving fans I discovered.

Q: What irks you most about other bloggers? The amount of arguments that seem to go on in the background of the book blogging world is tremendous over silly things like who originally created particular memes and who deserves more review books, I'd just like to remind those people that we are sharing an interest of books and not actually starting world war III :)

Be sure to let me know if you'd like to participate in 5x5 Q's!

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs